Monday, October 15, 2018

Week 6


·         Week 6 – Curriculum – October 15 - 19

o   Text: The Way of Mindful Education, Part IV: Mindful Education Curriculum
§  Introduction
§  Layout
§  Mindfulness-based curriculum
§  Embodiment
§  Exercises
o   Exercise: investigate Davidson’s KindnessProject, (create abstract, notes)
o   Article: Davidson interview onEdutopia.org
o   Blog:
§  Discuss elements of mindfulness-based curriculum/interventions


So, this week’s material was really helpful for me. Rechtschaffen layed out the basic formula for overall mindfulness curriculum design with the following sequential elements: embodiment, focused attention, heartfulness (compassion toward self and others), and interconnectedness. Thinking about speaking and teaching about mindfulness in this way is a natural progression, and sums up both the practical elements (feeling bodily and emotional sensations/arisings), learning how to focus attention (on what is arising), learning to have compassion for ourselves and others, and then leading to the real benefit of mindfulness practice – realizing the interconnectedness of us all that can lead to kindness and concerns of social justice.

The lesson layout was presented such:
·         Opening mindful moment
·         Check-in and review of past material
·         New material/lesson
·         Interaction or practice with new material
·         Sharing about how the new material ‘feels,’ arising thoughts/ideas/emotions
·         Journaling or drawing – a way to ‘narrate back’ and interact with the material/concepts
·         Discovery – how the materials can be applied in daily life
·         Closing mindful moment

In reviewing the Kindness Curriculum (Davidson), they followed this same schema. In the recent interview by Edutopia with Davidson, he stated that the program was build around the important elements of attention, breath/body (awareness), caring, interconnectedness (he called it dependence), emotions, forgiveness (compassion), and gratitude. The Kindness Curriculum for preschoolers is 24 lessons that are intended to be introduced twice weekly. Having participated in preschool education (decades ago), I felt this was a good program that the children would enjoy – I think it would be pleasant to teach, as well. 

One of the lessons I particularly liked was modeling of caring conversation: one student has a ‘speak from the heart’ wand (a tongue depressor with a red heart attached to one end) and the other student has a ‘star listener’ wand (a tongue depressor with a yellow star attached). What a wonderful way to practice mindful dialogue. Then, of course, they switch positions. Speak from the Heart and Star Listener reflects Gregory Kramer’s Insight Dialogue guidelines ‘Listen Deeply’ and ‘Speak Truth.’ How wonderful to introduce these concepts of respectful communication to this age group. I may even employ this technique later in the year with the 3rd graders.

I also appreciated the overarching theme of ‘planting seeds’ and ‘growing relationships’ in the Kindness Curriculum. These are concepts that can be utilized for any age. It was my own intention when homeschooling to expose my kids to as many new ideas and concepts as possible to ‘plant seeds’ that could spark curiosity and the possibility of growing into something later. The Kindness Curriculum suggests a poster/bulletin board of a growing garden where kids can add what they are planting (specifically relationships) and cultivating through the year.

“Mindfulness and kindness go hand in hand, so much so that the phrase “kindfulness” accidentally (but aptly) came out in one of our conversations and has stuck with us.” (Flook & Pinger, Lessons from Creating a Kindness Curriculum article). Kindfulness is like heartfulness – all those good things of mindfulness, kindness, and compassion put together.


I have taken a couple of weeks away from the students (I was out of town, and then they had a field trip during our scheduled time). So, this week I am excited to revisit our mindfulness conversation, and plan on reinforcing their understanding of the brain with a book titled Rosie’s Brain. Lisa has been continuing the 'core' practice with them (belly breathing), and is incorporating the ‘journaling’ piece throughout the week. The students have really absorbed the lesson about the amygdala and the PFC (hand model of the brain – thank you Dan Siegel!). In fact, they asked another teacher if he ever ‘flipped his lid’! He is very good with them, and said yes, he did sometimes! (He is a Native American storyteller and artist that comes in to teach, tell stories, and draw the legends he shares. So good!) I am thrilled that they are taking it all in.

one of the drawings - the Raven brings fire to humans
So, as I stated earlier, looking at the bones of a mindfulness lesson, as well as the sequential design of mindfulness curriculum, is so helpful as I prepare for the midterm.

Just a reminder: next week is a study week, so no blog post, but I will post the midterm when it is complete.

Q: As a teacher of mindfulness, why do you think these research studies of mindfulness-based interventions are important? How do they affect your own enactment of mindfulness training/curricula for kids?

Research studies are the way that mindfulness can enter into public education. Without scientific ‘proof’ or at least the potential of benefit, mindfulness wouldn’t even be considered (and might even be rejected outright as a religious/spiritual practice, as it is sometimes with some Christian groups/sects). When considering my presentation at the end of this semester, I will spend a substantial amount of time sharing the recent research – this is the only way to show the benefit from secular authoritative sources (researchers). And even with that research, I know there will be a couple of faculty members that will be skeptical (due to their religious affiliation/perspective). I must be very careful to show the benefits and secular approach to teaching mindfulness to not be taken as introducing a spiritual practice.

For me, I see the benefits from my own practice and don’t really need scientific proof. But, I want to keep my eye to the recent and upcoming research as further substantiation of the benefits of teaching mindfulness and emotional self-regulation to the students. The scientific research on the benefits of mindfulness in education keeps my teaching of mindfulness secular for all the students and their families, and respectful of any religious preferences or affiliation.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Liz,

    It’s incredible the amount of resources and attention that went into creating a Kindness curriculum for very young students.

    I am cautious of giving teachers yet another curriculum to learn and implement, but the way you outlined Rechtschaffen’s mindfulness curriculum overview helps me to consider ways mindfulness based interventions and curricula gets us to think about teaching and learning more broadly. It makes sense to take time to settle, connect today’s lesson to other lessons, engage in instruction/learning, practice new concepts/skills, apply the concepts/skills into our own lives, and reflect upon this whole process. These components you highlighted seem like good practices for effective teaching.

    Talk soon,
    Julie

    P.S. Let me know if you need any support for your midterm.

    ReplyDelete