o
Text:
Mindfulness for Teachers: Skills for
Peace & Productivity
§ Power
of positivity
§ The
heart of teaching
o
Video:
§ Shelter from the Storm – short video about Ms. Reifler
o
Research:
§ Sherretz, C. E.
(2011). Mindfulness in education: case studies of mindful teachers and their
teaching practices.
Mind the Teachers! The Impact of Mindfulness Training
on Self-Regulation and Classroom Performance in a Sample of German School
Teachers, (2017); https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED578017.pdf
A
systematic review of mindfulness interventions for in-service teachers: A tool
to enhance teacher wellbeing and performance (Hwang, Bartlett, Greben, and
Hand, 2017); https://ac-els-cdn-com.ezproxyles.flo.org/S0742051X17301130/1-s2.0-S0742051X17301130-main.pdf?_tid=4e35d01a-b5ed-4c1f-8220-97ddd9d5e89f&acdnat=1538749918_8b6071393541c4c756a8e243921163a3
o
Blog:
§ How
does/can positivity influence perceptions and relationships?
§ Explain
the impact of mindfulness on teaching efficacy
o
Journal:
notes, thoughts, and connections
*********************
Before addressing how mindfulness can impact or
influence efficacy, I needed to know what
exactly is ‘teaching efficacy’?
Article: https://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/curriculum-teaching-strategies/improve-teacher-efficacy/
“Teacher
efficacy is when a teacher believes in their own ability to guide their
students to success. For over thirty years, researchers have explored the
link between teacher self-efficacy and student achievement. Research suggests that teachers with a
strong sense of self-efficacy tend to be better planners, more resilient
through failure, and more open-minded and supportive with students. Collective efficacy
is when a staff of teachers believe that together they can inspire growth and
change in their students.” (excerpt from a blog post from Room 241, Concordia
University-Portland, 2018).
POST
How
does/can positivity influence perceptions and relationships? Explain
the impact of mindfulness on teaching efficacy.
Positivity (positive emotions) influence perceptions and
relationships in a number of ways:
·
They broaden our visual search field because research
has shown that positive emotions cause us to pay more attention to the needs of
others, as well as enhancing cognitive abilities. This can result in building
relational trust, expanding social opportunities, and reducing bias (p. 88).
o
“Positive emotions enhance cognitive abilities
and promote strong and enduring social relationships, good health, longevity, resistance
to illness, agency, and efficacy (p. 88). All these things contribute to
wellbeing and “overall life satisfaction” (p. 88).
·
Enhanced cognitive abilities, as the result of
positive emotions, increases flexibility, innovation, open-mindedness, and
creativity. Overall, positive emotions grant us a positive outlook with hope
and resilience in the face of challenges (p. 88).
·
Positivity is contagious in a group setting
(such as a classroom) and becomes self-reinforcing, “once you establish a
positive emotional climate … research has shown that your students will help
reinforce it” (p. 89). This positive climate also promotes prosocial behaviors
of generosity and helpful (and less defensive) toward others (p. 89).
·
Jennings stated that “truly supportive
relationships with caregivers are characterized by trust, responsiveness, and
involvement” (p. 105).
Positivity and positive emotions create a climate of respect,
trust, flexibility, and shared experience that fosters more positivity. “Studies
involving children have shown that positive emotion facilitates memory, learning,
and prosocial behavior, and that negative emotions impair these functions”
(106). This is in keeping with everything I believe about working with anyone,
but children in particular because they are so easily influenced. I know that
they must feel respected and cared about in order for them to feel safe enough
to be open to new ideas (and be willing to make mistakes in that learning
process) in a learning environment. The entire group, including the teacher,
must feel respected and valuable.
In this regard, mindfulness is a good fit for practicing
attentive awareness to the relational nuances required in a classroom.
Practicing attentiveness to arising emotions, feelings, and experiences in a
meditative setting allows those skills to be applied in a social setting. (For
this reason, I thought it was a good idea to introduce mindful dialogue to students
last year – the pause, relax, and open
guidelines of Insight Dialogue meditation were a good way to introduce
conversation about respecting each other through deep listening, both to
themselves and others).
Mindfulness gives a good foundation for building efficacy (confidence).
Featured in the Sherretz dissertation was characteristics of mindful teachers:
·
They prioritized the problem-solving process
over outcomes
·
They offered choices both in how assignments
were completed and where (social settings)
·
They utilized questioning and modelling to
encourage critical thinking
·
They emphasized building relationship with students and having fun
(interest)
This mindful attentiveness to the needs of the students is
key to efficacy; as the classroom atmosphere is build on mutual respect,
sharing in the learning process, and flexibility, I would imagine that the
students would naturally respond. As Jennings said, “when teachers are
supportive, they provide students with a sense of connection with the school
environment and the security to explore new ideas and take risks – both of
which are fundamental to learning” (p. 105). And when the students are engaged
in the learning process, assessment and achievement scores are bound to go up. It
is a self-fulfilling cycle of positivity: the teacher is teaching and the
students are learning – the more learning, the more the teacher feels confident
that they are meeting the needs of the students and helping them to succeed.
I looked at another research paper (Rupprecht, Paulus &
Walach, 2017) that studied the impact of mindfulness training on self-regulation
and classroom performance of German teachers. It had some expected results,
such as mindfulness practice improved the teachers’ stress and health, coping
abilities, emotion regulation, and self-efficacy. But what was really interesting,
and I think the researchers were surprised, was that “the intervention seemed
to negatively affect teacher engagement” (p. 577). It would seem that once the
teachers became aware of what was causing them to suffer, they “engaged more
wisely with work demands … decided where effort was needed most and retreating
from unnecessary additional tasks. The findings suggested a more empowered
employee that takes better care of their resources which is at the core of
self-regulation as a professional competence” (p. 577). And, that is a great
example of insight that comes from mindful meditation – understanding what is
causing suffering and changing behaviors to suffer less. Self-efficacy, the
researchers stated, “is the belief of ability to handle difficult classroom events
… this belief affects choices, goals, effort, and perseverance” (p. 566). They
apparently believed that they could make better choices about their efforts –
to work smarter instead of harder.
Lastly, I looked at a study by Hwang, Bartlett, Greben &
Hand (2017) and their review of mindfulness interventions for in-service
teachers. This study was noteworthy because it was a large number of
participants (652 educators) and it was a mixed-method study – they utilized
self-report questionnaires and objective 3rd person classroom
observation. Educators reported feeling stressed and overwhelmed because of
bullying behaviors (of students, parents, school members), challenges due to
complex learning needs of students, a lack of support (or lack of
appreciation), and self-doubt. The study found that “mindfulness practice was
found to be useful for teachers not only to see their choice of actions in the
midst of psychologically and physically challenging work situations, but also
to be relaxed, centered and calm” (p. 39). I also appreciated the note about
the “indirect effects on students who are taught by teachers trained in
mindfulness … behaviors and amenability improved, and their teachers responded
positively with better wellbeing and teaching performances” (p. 41). This is
the positivity cycle again: attentive, aware teachers and students responding
to the positivity.
So, I think this is all great. Not a magic bullet, but
positivity and hope, respect and attention are all qualities I want to bring
into the classroom. I want every child I interact with to feel respected and
valued.
Q: I will push you to
think specifically about your students and your context. What kind of qualities
of a mindful classroom and a mindful teacher would you like to focus on this
month, this season, or this year? What are the two qualities of a mindful
classroom that your students need most to feel safe and trusting? Why did you
choose these two qualities?
I am focusing on getting to know
them (being attentive to their special personalities and needs). I want them to
know I care about them and am interested in what is important to them.
Secondly, I am focused on giving them tools of self-regulation – so, I am
starting with teaching them the importance of deep listening (to themselves and
their bodies, to their teacher, and to their classmates). I believe that when
children feel heard and respected, and they have the skills to listen and hear
others, it can go far in fostering a sense of safety and trust. I chose deep
listening first because it really feels like the foundation of respect toward
others.
Q: you are what schools
might typically consider an “outside provider”. In what ways do you feel
integrated and disconnected from your students? And how do these ways you feel
integrated and disconnected affect the ways mindfulness is being integrated
into the classroom?
I feel integrated with
the students because they are so eager to have me come into the class and are
so open to what I am offering. I know they know I care about them and their
class, as a whole, and that I will be coming on a regular basis. I feel rather
disconnected in that I am woefully unaware of details about Native American
culture as well as their local tribal culture. Also, I am not there but once a
week, so right now my coming is like a special treat – this can be good and
bad. It’s good that they are excited, but sometimes they are too excited! I am
still struggling to remember all of their names and personalities. I still feel
like I need build a trusting relationship with them before what I am bringing
to them will be integrated into the classroom. It is important to me that they
have a positive feeling about me and what I am offering.
Hi Liz,
ReplyDeleteWonderful to hear that you are enjoying working with your students and that they look forward to your presence. You are like their Ms. Riefler!
I enjoyed reading your summaries and analyses of the different studies. I am drawn to Sherretz’s (2011) finding that mindful teachers prioritized the problem-solving process over outcomes. This is an important personal and professional orientation that benefits students’ academic learning and well-being, regardless of whether or not a particular teacher practices mindfulness meditation. In a way, Sherretz’s four themes are characteristics of plain ol’ good teaching (not just mindful teaching).
As you saw with Hwang, Bartlett, Greben, and Hand’s (2017) study, the researchers were able to gather data from 16 studies of MBIs for teachers. Are any of us surprised that the studies in general had positive effects on teacher and student well-being? Those of us who practice mindfulness have most likely experienced positive benefits in our own lives; these studies seem more instrumental in convincing people who allocate resources to schools to provide resources toward mindfulness training for teachers/students.
As a teacher of mindfulness, why do you think these research studies of mindfulness-based interventions are important? How do they effect your own enactment of mindfulness training/curricula for kids?
Thanks for reading,
Julie