Elizabeth Henderson
Lesley University
Author Note
This reflexive project was prepared
for GMIND 7500 – Thesis, Summer 2019
In Retrospect
When reflecting on the research process
for my thesis project – creation of a mindful education course for preservice
teachers – I can say is that I truly enjoy the process of research and writing.
I can’t put my finger on any one aspect of research that I particularly dislike
or find to be unpleasant; I like the challenge and process of researching the
nuances of a topic and writing a research paper. From the moment of decision on
the subject matter to editing the final draft, going about the work of research
is a satisfying endeavor for me. I enjoy reading the research, conclusions, and
suggestions of other researchers and take pleasure in discovering the scholarly
conversation. I could spend hours poking around library databases, inputting
different search parameters just to see what comes up, prioritizing both the important
elements and the obscure ones, and compiling lists, notes, and quotes that I
can eventually synthesize into a written record of my effort. For me, that is
highly satisfying. And while I enjoy it a great deal, it is not without its
challenges.
One of those challenges is putting
together an actual literature review. I understand the concrete definition of a
literature review, but somehow struggle putting it down on paper. This is
probably the reason why my completed literature review for this project was
more like a draft of the rationale for my creative project rather than a
review. I can say it is a ‘challenge’ to confidently ‘know’ that I have found
and considered all the research that is ‘out there’; I am positive that there
are studies on mindful education that I have not read or even seen (although, I
hope not many!). In fact, just last week I stumbled across another study that I
was able to include into the rationale. I am still not sure how this study
escaped my many searches and ‘reference chasing.’ As a result, I have learned
not to overlook a simple Google search to see what comes up – it could uncover
something useful.
In addition to researching, I truly
enjoyed designing the course in mindful education for this thesis
project. After following so many syllabi as a student and purposely observing
more than a few professors’ approach to presenting materials and instruction, I
was eager to try my hand at creating a course of study. I was grateful for the
opportunity to develop my own independent study, and it was a great experience
for me.
I spent hours intently pouring over
materials, researching the scholars and research articles, finding the
respected books on the subject, and designing a course with exactly what I
thought I needed to know about mindful education. It was fun to think about creating
a course with all the elements that were edifying to me. All that effort, as
well as the independent study itself, put me in good stead to create this
course for preservice teachers. One major takeaway from my independent study
was that even though I diligently tried to build a solid syllabus, as I went through
the course, I found myself changing the schedule, adding readings, and
modifying assignments. It was a good lesson.
Immediately after receiving feedback about
my thesis literature review, I dove headfirst into syllabus creation for my
creative project. After my experience with the independent study syllabus, I
decided the first thing I needed was to research how to write a syllabus. I
discovered James Lang who had written, both online and in his book On Course
(2008), much about designing and
instructing college courses. I also chose to read a guide to designing
curriculum, assessment, and instruction (Understanding by Design, Wiggins
& McTighe, 2005). With this information, and some guidance and
encouragement from a couple of beloved former professors from my alma mater,
I was on my way.
The process of creating both the rationale
portion and the creative component of this thesis has gone amazingly well, and
much faster than I imagined, due to having had the specific concentration/focus
of mindful education throughout the program. With this thesis project, I have
been able to refer to much of my studies, including internship. I feel that this
course would be a positive addition to education programs offered at community
colleges.
Full Disclosure
From the start of this program, I have had
quite an aversion to reflexive writing. I had become quite comfortable writing as
the observer and report the research for grades. This aversion was a bit
ironic, too, because years ago I was an avid blogger who relished reflexive
writing as a form of social commentary. As I contemplated that irony, it
started to become clear that reflecting about my own experience for grade made
me feel overly vulnerable. I realized that it was the assessment and critique
that was the issue, not the actual writing.
In thinking about the process of
developing, researching, and writing this thesis, as well as the entirety of
this program, I meandered back through discussion posts from my first course –
Graduate Academic Writing. It is always interesting to read my own writing
after time as passed, and this time was no different. Back in Week 9 of that
course I wrote,
of
the two types of writing, freewriting and research writing, I prefer research
papers – so buttoned down and well-defined, not so vulnerable, personally
revealing, or emotionally taxing. It doesn’t require a lot of emotion to find,
read, and sort sources. I can enjoy following the formula to put together the
information. This is all very understandable, unlike somewhat squishy
definitions of what is supposed to go into a discussion post or a
reflection/response paper. I know most don’t much care to write research
papers, but at least I understand what is expected.
Reflexive
writing, much like freewriting (in my view), brings up and lays bare what is
most pressing in our thoughts – and yes, that is emotionally taxing. I still
prefer writing research papers and continue to struggle with reflection
assignments like this one. Ultimately, I suspect that it is a fear of criticism
that is getting the best of me. If I can report and synthesize the research in
an accurate and analytical way, the forthcoming criticism is not of me, but of
the content. It would be nothing personal. But what I didn’t fully comprehend
at the onset of this program was that because of the nature of the content, it
was all going to be personal.
This final work on my thesis project was
also personal. I wrote in my rationale that I “believe strongly” that
mindfulness practices can be a benefit for not only preservice teachers, but
their future students, and all those connected to them – family, friends,
school, community, and the world at large. And that brings me to what I think
is at the heart of this mindfulness program – social justice. Mindfulness
tugs and prods each of us to be present in our relationships and, quite simply,
to be more aware. And when we become more aware, we can grow more compassionate
and empathetic to the suffering of others and may even be compelled to help. How
can that not be personal?
When things are personal, I remind myself
that if I am emotionally reacting (or taking something personally), then I must
be more attached than I realize. I am certainly attached to the subject of
mindful education for teachers, but even more specifically, preservice
teachers. I truly wrote this mindful education course for teacher candidates
like my daughter. Morgan decided to become an elementary school teacher after
she graduated high school and chose to get her required degree and teacher
certification from a community college that offered a baccalaureate in
education. She was part of the first cohort to earn a bachelor’s degree in
education from that community college. I am happy to say that she just completed
her first year of teaching first grade and has decided to embark upon a master’s
degree program.
Her educational journey to become a
teacher was not without struggle. As is to be expected, new programs experience
growing pains, and students are obligated to navigate the bumps and bruises
along the way. Morgan handled each challenge with grace and wisdom; I am proud
of her perseverance and determination. However, it is more than clear to me
that things could have been improved with a course in mindful education, not
just to teach the practical aspects of introducing mindfulness into the
classroom, but to support teacher candidates in their studies, during
their (often stressful) student teaching,
and into their early-career years. I truly created this course with Morgan in
mind, and all teacher candidates like her that are seeking their baccalaureate
through a community college.
Every aspect of the course, every reading,
every reading prompt, along with the inclusion of required investigation of a personal
practice, was designed to allow space for mindful self-care and awareness. Most
students are preoccupied with too much reading, writing, deadlines, and
assessments; staunchly focused on their goal, they rarely consider, or take
time for, self-care. Developing a mindfulness practice during their training
could change the way they study, retain, and apply what they are learning. I
believe that being exposed to mindful education during a degree/certification
program could really be a game-changer in the career of a teacher.
Why This Project Matters to
Me
During the creation of the mindful
education course, my friend sent me a link to another course that sounded a lot
like my project. At first, I felt rather deflated – what if the course I was
creating wasn’t, in fact, addressing the educational gap I had perceived?
However, when I took a breath and looked at the course offering (from a
university), it had some very distinct differences. First, it was designed for
teachers already working in the field, not preservice teachers. Next, it was a
standalone course and not intended to be part of a program of study. Third, it
was one of many ‘continuing education’ courses offered to working teachers at
their own expense. The course I have developed is specifically for preservice
teachers because they are at a significant risk of developing chronic stress
and burnout within the first five years of teaching. I believe this is a factor
in what some call the ‘current teacher retention crisis.’
There is not only a decreasing number of new
teachers emerging from higher education with a bachelor’s degree and ready for
certification, but there is also a serious shortage of substitute teachers. Many
teacher candidates already feel some degree of stress from their studies while
preparing for state certification testing and can carry this stress into their student
teaching and first few years. These new teachers can develop chronic stress and
burnout from several causes – new-career pressures, student behavioral
management issues, co-worker/administration relational challenges, expected
work outside of instructional hours (or during personal time), and/or the use
of personal financial resources for classroom supplies. My admittedly limited
observation of educators substantiates these stresses. My mother was an
educator (pre-K) that continually worked during her personal time, as well as
spending copious amounts of her personal funds for needed classroom or school supplies.
My best friend, a third-grade teacher, does the same. Many other teachers I
know and have known have the same story, and the same stress and concerns. It
is a wonder that they make it through their first five years, much less
retirement.
This thesis work was personal for me
because I care about the state of our education system. When you have teachers
that are chronically stressed and burned out, you will have students affected
by that stress personally, emotionally, and academically. I have always been
concerned about the state of our public education, which is the main reason I
chose to homeschool my own children. I continue to be concerned about the
students and the teachers in this system as it is today. Perhaps I can
contribute in a positive way by offering this course to preservice teachers. Considering
the influence teachers have on so many students over the course of their
careers, I think a mindful education course for preservice teachers that has
the possibility of improving teacher and student wellbeing is worthy of
consideration.
I had a professor once say that an author
or researcher is as objective as possible when they fully disclose their bias. So,
here is mine: After all my study and research of mindful educational practices,
I don’t see much liability to introducing mindfulness practices into the
education process, whether it be to preservice teachers, long-time teachers, students
(of any age), administrators, or communities. I believe it can be a benefit to
any organization if everyone is on-board and genuine about their intentions, experiences,
and practice. Further, I don’t believe that mindfulness is a religious practice
in the secular setting of public education. When instruction, interventions, or
curricula is based on scientific research and is without religious bias or
motives, it cannot interfere with, or proselyte to or for, any religious tradition
or practice. Interestingly, there are authors who make their whole argument for
mindful education without even using the term mindfulness at all (they
call it The Five Dimensions of Engaged Teaching, Weaver & Wilding,
2013). I would even suggest that many aspects of mindful education could be titled
social emotional learning (SEL), as it is my opinion that it is difficult to
teach SEL without a mindfulness component. Whatever we want to call it, I
believe that being fully present in the moment, taking time to focus on the
breath, and cultivating awareness of the fleeting nature of everything
(including our feelings) is important to share with students of all ages … for
the betterment of society.
References
Lang,
J. M., (2008). On course: A week-by-week guide to your first semester of
college teaching. USA: Caravan.
Weaver,
L., & Wilding, M. (2013). The five dimensions of engaged teaching: A
practical guide for educators. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
Wiggins,
G., & McTighe, J. (2005). Understanding by design. Alexandria, VA:
Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD) Publications.
from Melissa:
ReplyDelete"Hi Liz,
Thank you for being patient with me as I negotiated a very busy week at residency! I'm back in Nashville now and have enjoyed giving your work a thorough read over the weekend.
Liz, this is fantastic work! Thank you for engaging so thoughtfully with my comments on previous drafts; I don't have any remaining critiques. In its current state, this project represents a deep and generous engagement with the pre-existing literature, and a detail-oriented approach to applying that literature to an actionable creative project. The course you've designed is careful, thoughtful, and would be deeply useful to teachers-in-training. It's clear that you've dedicated your considerable analytical skills to thinking carefully about each level of this curse.
Your reflexive project is also right on point. I like your transparency about previous aversion to reflexive writing, and your willingness to deeply engage the question of why. For what it's worth, your reflexive writing is strong and interesting to read. You're right that all of our work--even the "objective" research--is deeply personal, and it's been a joy to see you bring your personal dedication to the (rapid!) development of this project.
I am currently conferring with Lisa about how to take care of all the requirements prior to the August graduation date, as I see you've filed an intent for August. In the meantime, could you please:
1) Fill out and email me to a Thesis Approval Form (from mylesley)
2) Give your full paper one last proofread, checking for spelling, grammar, and issues with margins (for example, on the first page there is an inconsistent margin), as well as making sure that everything you say is exactly what you intended to say
Once you've done these two things, I'll get started on paperwork and you can submit the project to Digital Commons.
Best,
melissa.
Melissa Jean, MFA, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Mindfulness Studies Master’s Degree Program
Graduate School of Arts and Social Sciences
Lesley University
mjean4@lesley.edu"